Everyone knows that it’s hot, hot, hot in Palm Springs in the summer. Although there is no shortage of establishments with the AC cranked - we wanted to highlight some additional ways you can stay cool and enjoy all that Palm Springs to have offer! From museums to epic stargazing, homemade gourmet ice cream and luxury spas, Palm Springs really is the perfect getaway, even in the summer.
1. Pool Hop - Staying cool in the desert heat is key. Palm Springs is known for its architecture and legendary pools, each with its own unique personality. For a relaxing vibe check out the saltwater purified pool at The Alcazar Hotel, surrounded by misters and shaded by palms. If you’re looking for live music, Arrive’s - Spin N Splash might be right for you - featuring poolside DJ’s every Saturday and Sunday.
2. Camp at Joshua Tree - Only 45 minutes away, Joshua Tree National Park is the perfect place to enjoy the desert scenery and unwind. We highly recommend booking your site in advance, as the campgrounds tend to fill up quick during the summer months! Whether you’re in the mood to hike, boulder climb, cook by the fire or stargaze, Joshua Tree has something for everyone. While you're up that way grab at cocktail at Pappy & Harriet’s and watch the sunset from Pioneer Town!
3. Self-Guided Architecture Tour - Whether you are a local or a visitor, the self - guided Midcentury Modern Architecture tour is a must. You can pick up the guide at the Palm Springs Visitor Center and enjoy the sights at your own pace - in the comfort of your car, on foot or even on a bicycle! Some of the stops include the famous Kaufmann House, Elvis’ Honeymoon Hideaway, and The Wexler Steel Houses. Read more about Palm Springs and its midcentury roots here!
4. Sound Bath at the Integratron - Where art, science and magic all fuse together! The Integratron is an “energy machine sited on a powerful geomagnetic vortex in the magical Mojave Desert.” If you aren’t sure what that means, head on over to their website and read about the history of the Integratron, and why it draws so many visitors to its unique location in Landers, California every year. Sound Bathes are the Integratron’s signature experience - they are 60 minute sonic healing sessions that will leave you feeling rejuvenated and centered.
5. The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway - Enjoy mile high fun and escape the heat on the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, perfect for taking in the views and grabbing a drink at the Peaks Restaurant or Pines Cafe. Within 10 minutes, the Tramway brings visitors up to the top Mt. San Jacinto State Park where temperatures are always lower and the views unbeatable. Check out the Tramway’s Summer Pass program, unlimited rides for $80 (running through August 31).
6. Skywatcher Star Tours - Cuddle up with your sweetie on a blanket in your own mini outdoor living room, complete with chairs and blankets and state of the art telescopes, provided by Skywatcher Star Tours. Knowledgeable guides will take you on a journey through the cosmos, during your 2 hour stargazing experience, sharing the myths and legends behind the each constellation. “No clouds, no light pollution, no crowds. Just you, the quiet desert, and the stars.”
7. Sweet and Refreshing Treats - Few people realize how many ice-cream options we have in town. From gourmet shakes and malts to traditional gelato. Here are a few of our favorites to satisfy your sweet tooth - Great Shakes // Kreem // Lappert's Ice Cream // Gelato Granucci. And for those late night cravings, visit the Ice Cream and Shop(pe) at Arrive, open until midnight on weekends and 11 on weekdays!
8. Spa Life - If you’re feeling wiped out from crossing things off this epic summer to do list - enjoy the world-famous mineral hot springs at Two Bunch Palms, where you can relax in nature and try treatments including Chakra Balance Massages, Desert Detox Clay Wraps and Water Shiatsu. Looking for something a little more traditional? Check out the Palm Springs Yacht Club at The Parker or the Estrella Spa at Avalon, just to name a few!